Monday, December 24, 2007

72 Virgins! Count Them! 72!
Is This Really What Islam is About?

As an infidel, I'd like to believe that the 'be a martyr, get 72 hot virgins' aspect of Islam wasn't real. Or, that what I've read about it, including rather poetic descriptions of beauty as delicate as the membrane within an egg, was getting misinterpreted.

Today, I saw part of a video aired (quite a bit) by Palestinian Authority television.

A clip is available on YouTube, "Martyr Rewarded with 72 Virgins."

"Media Group Claims Music Video is Sign of Growing Danger in Gaza" tells that, according to a group called Palestinian Media Watch, a music video that got heavy air time before, during Palestinian attacks on Jews, is back.

The music video's story line is easy to follow, and simple yet powerful. Jews kill a young (Muslim) woman. Oddly, she's wearing western clothing.

She's a martyr.

Then, a young (Muslim) man goes to visit her grave, and, you guessed it. Jews kill him.

He's a martyr.

There's a happy ending, though. He's reunited with her in a sort of celestial social club - along with 71 other whoopee girls.

Groovy.

I don't know what to think of this belief that martyred men get 72 martyred women (virgins, of course) as a sort of payoff.

A couple of points, and I'd done for the day.
  1. Is this really what Muslim women have as their highest goal: to be part of the entertainment at an other-worldly blowout?
  2. Does Islam really expect Muslim women to get bumped off at a 72-1 ratio? Or, are the Muslim women in that 24/7 party recruited from all women who make the cut?

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.