Saturday, July 5, 2008

Golden Tridents on Petty Officer Michael A. Monsoor's Coffin

"Nearly every SEAL on the West Coast" showed up for Petty Officer Michael A. Monsoor's funeral in San Diego's Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.

"During the service, as Monsoor's coffin was taken from the hearse to the gravesite, Navy SEALs lined up in two columns. As the coffin passed, video shows each SEAL slapping down the gold Trident from his uniform and deeply embedding it in Monsoor's wooden coffin...." ("A Fitting Tribute to a Slain Navy SEAL Gains Attention" FOXNews (July 4, 2008)

"Rare Mikey Monsoor memorial footage" YouTube (January 1, 2008)



YouTube video, 9:34

Previous posts about Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A Monsoor: Related posts, on Individuals and the War on Terror.
UPDATE (July 30, 2008)


(unknown source)
"You can't get such alignment...."
Well, I probably couldn't.

I've learned that there's a story going around that a photo of tridents on Monsoor's coffin are a sort of hoax:

"While the report is true the pic is obviously a hoax.

"1# You can't get such alignment by slapping badges on a coffin as it passes by.

"2# A National Cemetery and not one Government headstone in site.

"#3 Plastic flowers hummmm I don't believe they are allowed in National Cemeteries. I have never seen any in the many National Cemeteries I have visited."
(Armchair General and HistoryNet discussion thread (July 22, 2008))

Someone else in that thread provided the URL for Snopes' report: "Mike Monsoor" (Snopes.com (July 2008)).

The video embedded in this post shows that the coffin, although suspended, wasn't moving past the SEALS. They were lined up on either side of the coffin. The tridents weren't slapped on, they were placed, then pounded by each SEAL. The place-and-pound footage is about 8:50 into the video.

Even without the video, I'd have been hesitant to say that something is impossible. My guess is that most SEALS can do quite a few things that I can't.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.