Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Iran's Ahmadinejad Wants Tyrants Tried, and the EU to Lay Off

Iran's President Ahmadinejad is in the news again. This time, with an assurance and a proposal:
  • Assurance
    The west's 'carrots and sticks' approach to dealing with Iran's nuclear program won't work. Iran has an inalienable right to have a nuclear program, which the oil-rich country needs to supply power to its people
  • Proposal
    Form a special court to put the "tyrants" who plot against Iran on trial so that they can be punished
I suppose this makes sense, from Ahmadinejad's point of view. What the world looks like depends a great deal on where you're standing. I got some very interesting comments in a recent post. I think the gist of them is that Israel is to blame, because the Jews have nuclear weapons and attack their neighbors.

This belief is nothing new. I've been hearing and reading versions of it for decades. Although it may feel 'tolerant' and 'open minded' to say that all points of view are equally valid, that doesn't mean that it's so.

In my world, if a branch falls on my head, it hurts: whether I believe it should, or not.

As I wrote last month: "Okay. I think I understand now. Palestinians blow up strategic schools and students, attack tactical markets, and the Jews are to blame for it. That makes outfits like Hamas national liberation movements. When the Jewish military takes down rocket launchers hidden inside someone's home, that's terrorism."
("bin Laden: Israel is Terrorist State (This is News?)" (May 16, 2008))

I suspect that President Ahmadinejad's ideas will be solemnly considered and discussed. Who knows? He may even get his special court. I think Ahmadinejad would have been better-advised to avoid criticizing the European Union, and concentrate on the idea of trying American and Israeli leaders.

Then, after the leaders of the 'great Satan America' and Israel were punished, he could propose another set of trials.

The old saying "divide and conquer" has some wisdom in it.

Seriously, Now: I'm Concerned about Iran's Ayatollahs

I think it's possible that the Ayatollahs who have been running Iran since the shah was deposed may see it as their duty to wipe Israel from the map. Ahmadinejad has said that this was what Iran wants to do, and I'm inclined to believe him.

How likely it is that the leadership of Iran will use nuclear weapons to cleanse the world, I don't know. I do know that it looks to me like they're getting ready to implement their own Final Solution to the Jewish Question.

President Ahmadinejad in the news:
  • "Iran calls for trial of 'world tyrants' "
    Shanghai Daily (June 25, 2008)
    • "IRAN said yesterday that additional sanctions by the European Union will not affect Tehran, while President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad proposed the formation of a special court to punish the world 'tyrants' for their attempt to thwart Iran's nuclear program.
    • "Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying to a group of judges that 'a court should be formed to try and punish all world criminals who invade the rights of the Iranian nation,' according to the state IRNA news agency.
    • "Iran considers its nuclear ambitions, which the West claims mask weapons making, as an inalienable right. Tehran has dismissed Western claims and contends its uranium enrichment is only meant for electricity production. Ahmadinejad also denounced the West for 'issuing a verdict' in the absence of Iran."
  • "EU sanctions will not affect Iran: Ahmadinejad"
    The Hindu News Update Service (June 24, 2008)
    • "TEHRAN (AP): Iran said on Tuesday that additional sanctions by the European Union will not affect Tehran, while President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad proposed the formation of a special court to punish the world ``tyrants'' for their attempt to thwart Iran's nuclear program.
    • "Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying to a group of judges that ``a court should be formed to try and punish all world criminals who invade the rights of the Iranian nation,'' according to the state IRNA news agency.
    • "Iran considers its nuclear ambitions _ which the West claims mask weapons making _ as an inalienable right. Tehran has dismissed Western claims and contends its uranium enrichment is only meant for electricity production."

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.