Sunday, July 19, 2009

Iran: Shadi Sadr, Human Rights Lawyer, Snatched

Shadi Sadr is a "human rights lawyer," or a "feminist lawyer," depending on which account you read. That important point is that she seems to have been, ah, detained by the ayatollahs' government.

Beating and kidnapping a "human rights lawyer" - no matter what order those actions came in - just isn't nice. It's not much better if it can be presented as an "arrest."

I'm not going to work on the sympathy approach. I'm not at all sure of the social status of lawyers, here in America, as more people realize how much wacky lawsuits cost them.

It does appear, though, that one more person in Iran has been - and, most likely, is being - punished for expressing ideas that the country's leaders find distasteful.

That's not right.

And, in the long run, I think it's self-destructive. The ayatollahs' methods for crushing criticism of their alleged presidential election - and what they've done to Iran - doesn't seem to be quieting down.

Related posts: In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.