Friday, May 15, 2009

Roxana Saberi Out of Iran, in Vienna: Islamic Mercy Followed Through

Roxana Saberi, the journalist who grew up in Fargo, North Dakota, has dual citizenship, and went through several months of prison and trials in Iran, is in Vienna. She's spending some time with a friend.

That's good news.

I'm glad to see that she was allowed to actually leave Iran, after the Ayatollahs showed "Islamic mercy."

"...A judiciary spokesman says the appeals court reduced Roxanna's jail term to a two-year suspended sentence as a gesture of 'Islamic mercy' because she had cooperated with authorities and expressed regret...." (WDAY)

I'm impressed, if not favorably, with "Islamic mercy," as demonstrated by the Ayatollahs and their followers.

I still think there's reason to believe that the bizarre antics of Saudi courts, Sudan's reaction to a teddy bear, beheadings by Al Qaeda, and the Taliban's 'death to men who wear trousers' policy, aren't entirely representative of Islam.

But, Islam's loudest defenders seem determined to portray the religion as something that was over the top thirteen centuries ago, and has no place in the civilized world.

An ironic twist to the story of this Iranian-Japanese-American journalist and her treatment by Iran's rulers gets mentioned at the end of this video:

"She was working on a book about the Iranian culture when she was arrested." (AP)

"Freed Journalist Leaves Iran"

AssociatedPress, YouTube (May 15, 2009)
video (1:17)

Related posts: In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.