Thursday, February 10, 2011

Saudi Arabia and Propping Up Mubarak

I've discussed Saudi Arabia before. Basically, I think the old guard in the desert kingdom is doing a pretty good job of trying to maintain a culture that was ancient when Abram moved out of Ur. Whether they should be trying to do so is another matter.

Anyway, here's something about Saudi Arabia and Egypt's president. Mubarak obviously has a few friends left.
"Saudi Arabia has threatened to prop up President Mubarak if the White House tries to force a swift change of regime in Egypt. In a testy personal telephone call on January 29, King Abdullah told President Obama not to humiliate Mr Mubarak and warned that he would step in to bankroll Egypt if the US withdrew its aid programme, worth $1.5 billion annually...."
(The Times (UK) (February 10, 2011))
Egypt's president Mubarak has been doing a fine job of humiliating himself, in my opinion: and doesn't need any help.

From the looks of it, back in 1981 Hosni Mubarak got the job as Egypt's president: liked it, and made sure that nobody else got elected. Can't say that I blame him, in a way. It's nice to have a steady paycheck, a degree of job security, and the perks that often come with an executive position.

I have nothing against autocracy as a form of government: in theory. In practice, autocrats seem unable to pay attention to what their subjects actually need. I've discussed that, recently, in another blog. (Apathetic Lemming of the North (February 5, 2011))

Don't get me wrong: as an American citizen, I like living in a constitution-based federal republic with strong democratic ('small d') traditions and a bicameral legislature. I just recognize that it's not the only sort of government that can adequately serve the people of a nation.

Still, we've got a pretty good system of checks and balances - and that's almost another topic.

More of today's posts:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.